Sunday, September 14, 2014

Sleeping with your Baby

   When someone says "co-sleeping," most people picture a baby sleeping in the same bed as their mother. To be exact, 75% of mothers think it is only sleeping in the same bed as the baby (which is what I will be doing). Although the actual definition of "co-sleeping" is "sleeping in close proximity of your baby." Thus, a mother who has her baby in the same room as her is technically co-sleeping.

   Co-sleeping has been a bit controversial in the past, but recently thoughts as well as attitudes have changed about the subject. Pediatricians actually recommend it 7 more times today than they did 2 years ago, and 3 out of 4 mothers actually co-sleep with their baby. 

   The top three reasons women co-sleep are because of attachment to the baby (43%), closeness to the baby (68%), and breastfeeding (69%). Most mothers are very attached to their babies, especially first-time mothers (I know I already am!). I want my baby close to me, and I also plan on breastfeeding. So all three reasons apply to me!

   (I hope you enjoy this throwback;) )

   There are pros and cons to co-sleeping. Some pros are the fact that both parties (momma and baby) get more sleep, both parties bond more with each other, there is simple soothing involved, and there is a decreased risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome). 
   
   If a mother is breastfeeding, co-sleeping can be such a help. When a baby wakes up in the middle of the night crying, it's much easier to just pull a baby close and start breastfeeding. Neither mother nor baby lose much sleep because of the proximity and minimal movement/disturbment. That is also where simple soothing comes into play. If baby starts fussing, a mother just has to comfort her baby by patting them; again, saving sleep.

   There are a few cons as well. Parents get less rest, less freedom, and sometimes the baby can become over-dependent. If the baby gets used to sleeping only when mom or dad are asleep, then parents can sometimes lose freedom of being up while baby sleeps. 

   I know around the town I live in, there are a quite a few billboards that say, "don't ever sleep with your baby." There are some people who shouldn't sleep with their babies in the bed with them. People who are heavy sleepers, smokers, and drinkers. 

   Some people are heavy sleepers, which can be a problem because they aren't aware. I used to be a heavy sleeper until I became pregnant. Now I wake up if I hear the lightest noise. 

   Some people smoke and drink. That is the lifestyle that they have chosen, and they need to make responsible choices. If someone passes out, they are obviously not aware. Not only are they not in their right mind, but they have then become a heavy sleeper as well.

    When babies are in the womb, they're used to the mother's heartbeat, breathing pattern, and even smell. If a mother chooses to co-sleep, it is good for the baby because his breathing and heartbeat will match the mothers. Being right next to the mother regulates both,  and being so close to mother makes many babies feel more safe. This is one reason the risk of SIDS decreases. In a few studies that have been done, babies who co-sleep often cry less than babies who sleep in a different room as well.

   I hope that I will stay a light sleeper after Ryder is born. I'd love to co-sleep with him, and have him in the bed with me. I'm planning on breastfeeding, and as long as I am aware, it will be much easier with him so close. 

    I hope I was informative, and if anyone has questions, let me know! If I don't know the answer, I will gladly do some research and figure it out. If you read all the way through, thank you for reading my somewhat boring post!;) Y'all da best!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment