Friday, June 27, 2014

So I'm Going to be a Mommy..

   ..And yes, I am rather young. In today's age, twenty years old is seen as a very young age to have a child. It seems as if many people actually look down upon young mothers.

   It used to be the norm for people to have children when they were young. My grandmother on both sides had children in their late teens, that was how life was back then. People got married, and they started a family. Women didn't want to wait around and become old spinsters! In this new time, a woman should go to college, get a job, be independent, get married, and then start a family after being married for awhile. There is nothing wrong with doing it this way. Actually, it's very smart because by the time you decide to start a family, you are financially stable and supposedly mature.

   If you don't do it the way I just stated, you're throwing your life away. College is going to be hard, forget about getting a good job, you'll never have nice things, and money will always be an issue. People will question your maturity and ability to be a mother. People will state how young you are, and think you need their advice in order to be a capable mother.

   First of all, you are not throwing you're life away. You are just adding a little life to it. Change is going to happen (hopefully for the better). College is going to be hard, but it's not like it was easy to begin with. Children should give you more incentive to go to college and get a degree in order to get that good job to make money to pay the bills and have nice things.

   Secondly, I've known people in their forties less mature than people I know that are my age. Maturity is subjective, and people mature at different ages. Having a child will also (hopefully) mature you a bit in and of itself. You're ability to be a mother will (again, hopefully) kick in as well. After all, almost all moms have that motherly instinct. That's just what happens when you become a mom. 

   Would you like to know a secret? Ryder is not a planned baby (I know, shocker). I have always wanted to be a mother, but I didn't think I would actually be one until much later. I always thought twenty-four or five would be a good age to start producing offspring, but life has thrown me a little, wonderful curve-ball. 

   I have been pretty blessed and had very little negativity in all this. My friends and family are excited and so supportive. Although I have read blogs and seen shows where young mothers are seen in a very negative light. Hopefully the stigma of being a young mother will change, but that is going to take good and loving mothers who are young. If you are in your early twenties, I am not saying go get pregnant just to prove to people you can be a good young mother. I personally know about six girls who are having a baby within two months or so of me, and they are all in their early twenties.

   I think that God has chosen some wonderful girls to become mothers. They are all good people with great hearts. I believe that there are good points to being a young mother. I will never have to wonder what it was like to have a lot of free time. A child is a huge transition, but I am not used to a lot of free time and super lazy, lonely Saturdays to begin with (especially with how many children my family have, ha). I hopefully do not have to worry about being healthy enough to see my child grow up either. My biological clock has a good amount of time on it still.

   I have enjoyed spending a good amount of time on Pinterest lately. I love looking at baby blogs, nursery ideas, quotes, and baby shower ideas (I know, I'm such a mom). A few days ago, I saw this quote and really liked it. 

   "Being a young mom means that we met a little early, but it also means I get to love you a little longer."

   I just think that quote is beautiful and rings so much truth. I know that some people in my situation would probably imagine that their life is over. To a certain extent, a part of my life is over, but I see it more that I've just ended a chapter of my life and started a new one. I am so happy to be a mommy to my unborn son. It may have happened a little earlier than expected, but all in God's timing. In my case, He gave me an unexpected blessing. 

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment